Wednesday, April 13, 2016

K: Kitchen

 We get to welcome back Amanda (A.G.) Porter today for the 2nd of her 3 posts this week! Today she's got the letter K and she's talking about what the kitchen means to her family. Take it away, Amanda!

------------------------------------------------------

I live in a small town, in a small house with a small kitchen. It’s so tiny in fact that there just isn’t any room for a dishwasher. That means, yes, we wash dishes by hand. It might sound like an ancient practice to some, but to me, it’s something that I’ve always done. My momma taught me how to wash dishes, cook supper, and set a table in a small kitchen not unlike my own. There was no room in our tiny house for a dinning room so our table was right there, next to the counter with the canisters labeled, flour, sugar, and so on.
Believe it or not, kitchen work isn’t for just the ladies. My brother was right there with my sisters and I, washing, cleaning, and cooking.
All of things that Momma taught me I have taught my stepson. When he moves out, I want him to be able to make more than macaroni or Ramen Noodles for himself. I want him to impress his future Bride with his kitchen smarts. I want a lot for him, but one thing I want the most is to leave him with the ability to take care of himself.

Did you know that you can learn a lot in the kitchen other than how to cook or clean? For a long time, I didn’t. It wasn’t until I was washing dishes, my husband beside me, talking, that I realized that it was a place that we have had a lot of conversations as a family. We talk about problems, we’ve tried to solve a few, I’ve had to give out some harsh lectures to my stepson, and it’s where I’ve had to hold him as he’s cried, reminding him that even though I discipline him, I still love him. 



Great post, Amanda! Now for you lovely readers - what does your kitchen mean to YOU?

9 comments:

  1. In a way, not having a dishwasher could be a blessing. If everyone helps with clean up, it does give opportunity for more family time together!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Betty! A little hard work is good for the soul. :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, a kitchen is a hub for family life. I taught my daughter her first math lesson in the kitchen - measuring out ingredients. Whenever we all visit my mom's, we congregate in the kitchen. It's the best room in any house, no matter what size it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I ever have a chance to build another home (shut up!) I will only have a huge kitchen, one large enough for comfortable chairs and a hearth. That's where we all gather while the living room sits vacant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a dishwasher, but I don't use it. I like washing the dishes by hand, because it gives me some precious alone time with whoever got stuck drying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a tiny kitchen too, and I also do not have a dishwasher. That's almost like admitting we're pioneers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have a small kitchen but having got used to using a dishwasher when I lived in NC I miss it terribly. I have lived with small kitchens and bigger kitchens and I would take the bigger ones every time. We do have a dining area and use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lost art these days. My brother and I, even though we had two sisters, learned to cook and set the table and clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amanda and the RRH-Wof USA ... love big kitchens and the family gatherings that occur there ... I do miss not having a dishwasher at the times I've not had one ...

    Help is all around in a family - or certainly should be .. and as you say talking and discussing the day, the future, problems - all good things to happen ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the House!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...