Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Spice Up Your Camping Menu

I don't know about you, but I have certain favorites when it comes to food and some are meant for specific occasions - such as camping! Other times though, I want to bring something new and different to keep the menu exciting and tummy's happy. One of the new things I brought on our camping trip (that I don't usually think of for camping) was 7 Layer Bean Dip! Yummy!

Now it will be obvious that I'm not super-mom because I bought this from the store instead of making it from scratch. My sanity was at stake! But we do have one of the best recipes for this - which is why I rarely ever buy it. It's so much better homemade! And hopefully there are a couple tips (secrets) with this recipe that you haven't tried yet. If you haven't - you'll love it, I promise!

7 Layer Bean Dip
  • 1 can refried beans (mix a little salsa in with this for better texture & flavor!)
  • 16 oz sour cream 
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning (combine taco seasoning and sour cream & mix well.)
  • Guacamole (homemade or otherwise)
  • Colby Jack Cheese
  • Chopped tomatoes
  • Sliced Olives
  • Chopped Green Onions
Layer in a 9 x 13 pan in the order listed (starting with refried beans). Chill and serve with your favorite tortilla chips. Easy peasy!!!

This was a great snack to bring out and let everyone munch on. I didn't have to worry about the kids eating candy or junk food and I think everyone enjoyed it even more. We make this for Superbowl parties and BBQ's as well and it's always a hit. Now I know it's marvelous on camping trips as well!

What is your favorite food on camping trips?


Leigh Covington is the mother of three active children and a full time student at Grand Canyon University, finishing her Bachelors in Secondary Education emphasis in English. Fueled by Coca-Cola, she spends the majority of her time watching soccer games or gymnastics lessons, while sneaking in a sweet treat to satisfy her chocolate addiction. She also teaches the youth at church and loves spending time reading a good book whenever she can find a free minute.

6 comments:

  1. We've made that before, just without the sour cream. (We don't do dairy.) It looks and tastes like a lot more effort than it really is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Alex! People think you worked so hard, but it's really quite simple! :)

      Delete
  2. Favorite is hash. Love it on the campfire. So yum! This looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a version of macaroni and cheese which is ideal for camping. Matt took some juvenile prisoners on a camping trip once, many years ago, and made it (he got them to help) and they all loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to share that recipe Jo! If it's easy, then it's perfect for me.

      Delete
    2. OK I will, maybe on my guest post.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by the House!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...