Monday, November 14, 2016

Make Monday More Fun

We'd are excited to have Stephanie Faris with us at the House today! She's a fabulous friend, mom, and children's author!


Books Make Everything More Fun

I first discovered audiobooks in my 20s. Back then, you had to pay full price for audiobooks on CD or cassette, unless you could find them in the used bookstore. When I realized my local library had them, I was so excited.

I read Stephen King’s The Green Mile while cleaning the house. I read Nicholas Spark’s Message in a Bottle while making food for a New Year’s Eve party. I read countless books during my work commute or while doing mundane duties at work. Now, thanks to apps like Audible, you don’t even have to leave the house to pick up the latest bestseller.

Yes, audiobooks make everything a little easier to bear. Last year when we packed to move to a new house, Harlan Coben books helped take my mind off of the grueling work. That same author got me through deep-cleaning the house so we could sell it. I actually look forward to my three-mile walk at the gym every day because I know I’ll get to enjoy the next chapter in whatever great book I’m reading.

Listening to books isn’t for everyone. I actually found that celebrity biographies and nonfiction books were better if you were doing something that might distract you. The popularity of the Serial podcast a couple of years ago prompted me to figure out how to work the podcast app on my phone. It’s surprisingly easy, by the way. I’m a true crime addict, and there are a billion true crime podcasts out there—all 100 percent free!

If you can’t afford audiobooks or an Audible membership, podcasts aren’t your only free option. Many local libraries now offer digital lending. You can use your library card to reserve audiobooks and load them onto your phone. It isn’t for everyone, but if I have to scrub the toilets or try to match up socks from the laundry, listening to something interesting can make it so much more bearable.



Stephanie Faris is the Simon & Schuster author of the middle grade books 25 Roses and 30 Days of No Gossip, as well as the Piper Morgan chapter book series. Her freelance work has appeared on NYPost.com, Mental Floss, The Week, and Your Teen magazine.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for featuring me today. I'm looking forward to hanging out here this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used audiobooks in my classroom back when I was teaching, but I don't think I have the focus to use them otherwise. My mind would wander, and I'd miss everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always tell people, nonfiction works best for audiobooks. But that could just be me? Fiction works, but it has to be while you're doing something really mundane. I walk at the track every day for an hour and it's perfect for that but driving? Notsomuch!

      Delete
  3. I listen to some audiobooks. I just finished Ann Rule's In the Still of the Night. I try to get at least one a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of Ann Rule's books work well for audio, I think! If you get a chance and you're interested in Ted Bundy, read "The Stranger Beside Me." She was friends with Ted Bundy in his younger days...it's the book that put her on the map.

      Delete
  4. I used to use audio books from the library when I was walking on my treadmill. However, very often the quality wasn't that great so I stopped getting them. I seem to read lots of books anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before my treadmill broke, I read on my Kindle while I was walking. Now I'm at the track...harder to walk (without tripping) while reading a book, so audio works perfectly for that!

      Delete
  5. I use my text to talk feature on my iPhone too. Sure it sounds like a robot with a limited vocabulary, but I can listen to any book I want that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried that...and really tried to like it. The robot-voice got to me, but also...she kept running words on top of each other and I couldn't understand what she was saying. I guess I'd get used to it eventually?

      Delete
  6. I need to download something on my phone so I can listen when I workout. My husband is a big listener of podcasts. I've tried audiobooks, but they go so slow for me. I'm a speedy reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a podcast fiend! I get one Audible book a month and when I've read that, I listen to podcasts the rest of the time. I have about seven I subscribe to now. That probably doesn't sound like much, but I'm picky--I tried out a bunch of podcasts but some are just people reading from a script. I prefer podcasts where they actually have a discussion on the topic.

      Delete
  7. I'm with you on the Podcasts! Black Tapes, Tanis, Lore, Myths and Legends... I'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be addictive...and they're FREE! Like talk radio--only you get to pick from a very, very wide selection of topics.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by the House!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...